Would you like to develop Coaching and Mentoring Skills and gain an accredited qualification?
Effective coaching and mentoring of your colleagues enables them to develop, achieve and perform successfully both inside and out of the workplace. It is therefore crucial that managers and supervisors have the right skills to motivate, challenge and guide others to reach their full potential.
The ILM Level 5 certificate in Coaching and Mentoring is a qualification designed to provide managers with the skills to perform effectively as workplace coaches as an integral part of their wider role in the healthcare environment.
This concise and innovative qualification allows participants to gain a strong set of coaching skills, and is the first choice for learners looking to progress their leadership skills through a coaching based approach.
The ILM Level 5 Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring is open to all healthcare professionals.
What are the benefits?
Through participating in this programme, learners will:
- Know what it takes to be and effective coach in the workplace
- Understand good practice in coaching
- Recognise the difference between coaching and other development methods
- Understand how to use appropriate tools and techniques to stimulate, challenge and motivate others to achieve required outcomes
- Provide constructive and supportive feedback to support learning and performance improvement
- Utilise their new skills into by carrying out supervised coaching sessions
- Reflect on their personal coaching abilities and generate a personal development plan.
How is the course structured?
The Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring is made up of three mandatory units which introduce the key aspects of coaching in the workplace:
'Understanding the skills, principles and practice of effective management coaching and mentoring', the role of coaching, basic coaching processes, and the qualities individuals require to be an effective coach are explored
‘Undertaking management coaching or mentoring in the workplace' requires participants to plan and carry out at least twelve hours coaching with supervision and support
'Reviewing your own ability as a management coach or mentor' provides participants with the tools to analyse and improve their own performance as a coach
Two assignments will be completed by participants to demonstrate that they understand the principles discussed in the three mandatory units.
What do you get?
- A highly interactive course with 5 days of in-depth workshops, delivered on a modular basis, with both tutor and peer support
- 12 hours of supervised coaching sessions from our highly experienced trainers
- Handbooks, workbooks and refreshments
- Up to 18 months of free student membership to the ILM and member resources
- An ILM Level 5 Certificate as well as thirteen credits on the international qualifications framework
Course participants should have some experience and training in leadership, coaching and management. Participants should also be in a position where they have the opportunity to employ coaching and mentoring skills to support and develop less senior colleagues in order to meet the course assessment criteria.
Participants will be required to submit a short application statement of no more than 250 words to demonstrate that they meet the above criteria.
The cost of the 5 day workshop will be fully funded by Health Education England (for those working in the South West). Participants will be required to pay £500 towards the costs of ILM registration and assignment fees.
As part of this offer each participant will be expected to provide 12 hours of coaching and/or mentoring within their place of work for 2 years after completing the ILM qualification.
Course Dates and Venue
The course will take place on the following dates:
5 & 6 September 2018
10 October 2018
20 & 21 November 2018
The course will take place at:
Severn Postgraduate Medical Education
Deanery House - Unit D
Vantage Office Park
Old Gloucester Road
If you are interested in developing skills in coaching and mentoring, please e-mail your expression of interest to: CoachMentor.SW@hee.nhs.uk by Friday 23 June 2018.