What are equality and diversity?
Equality is ensuring individuals or groups of individuals are treated fairly and equally and no less favourably, specific to their needs, including areas of race, gender, disability, religion or belief, sexual orientation and age.
Promoting equality should remove discrimination in all of the aforementioned areas. Bullying, harassment or victimization are also considered as equality and diversity issues.
Diversity aims to recognise, respect and value people’s differences to contribute and realise their full potential by promoting an inclusive culture for all staff and trainees.
How can we promote equality and diversity?
We can promote equality and diversity by:
- treating all people fairly
- creating an inclusive culture for everyone
- ensuring equal access to opportunities
- enabling everyone to develop to their full potential
- supporting people with to challenge inequality and discrimination in their work/training environment
- making certain that any learning materials do not discriminate against any individuals or groups
- ensuring policies, procedures and processes don't discriminate