Severn Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) aims to establish a comprehensive Technology Enhanced Educational and Research Strategy across the region. The Severn Technology Enhanced Education and Research (STELaR) Strategy.
To inform the strategy, several consultation meetings have been held with simulation and education leaders throughout the region. It was established that such a strategy would require strategic leadership. To provide this leadership Professor Sandhu successfully pursued funding to allow my appointment as Associate Dean for Simulation.
STELaR Strategy mission statement:
The STELaR Strategy promotes and supports regional multidisciplinary technology enhanced education, training and research among all specialties caring for patients and their families.
Through a strong governance infrastructure it ensures sufficient resources to deliver optimised fit for purpose educational interventions, accountability for quality assurance of educational interventions, equity of access to all professional groups, improvement of patient quality of care and outcomes through education and innovation, high quality research networks and collaboration with SHA to commission education strategies to achieve common goals.
At the inaugural STELaR strategy meeting key immediate goals were identified.
- Establishing a strong, functional STELaR strategy governance infrastructure.
- The STELaR Executive Committee will be chaired by the Associate Dean for simulation.
- Members of the committee will be made up of simulation leads for each of the 16 schools, the UWE and UoB medical school.
- The executive Committee will meet at 4 monthly intervals.
- Once a year a larger meeting will be held with DME’s from each of the Acute trusts and a representative from SHA Education and E-learning also present.
- Secure administrative support.
- Secure funding for strategy.
- Establishing accurate inventory of resources within Severn PGME.
- Questionnaires have been sent to each Acute Trust, but improvements still need to be made.
- Database of simulation educators in Severn PGME will be established with details of qualifications.
- Database of simulation delivery sites will be created.
- Strategies to ensure optimal resources in region to deliver optimised, fit for purpose and sustainable educational interventions,
- Strategic commissioning of educational resources to serve the interest of the entire region.
- Administrative and technical support resources for delivery centers.
- Creation of a network of Simulation educators.
- Provision of communication infrastructure through web portal.
- Database of educators and areas of interest.
- Simulation educator training strategy for each school and for deanery. (Dependant on funding model)
- Novice and Advanced Courses
- Recruitment, training and continuing professional development considerations for the faculty.
- Discussion with DME regarding SPA structure to empower educators.
- Faculty development through simulation instructor courses and establishing of simulation educator network to create opportunities to develop simulation education skills.
- Development of school specific technology enhanced education (TEE) strategies for integration into school specific national curricula.
- School simulation lead to develop outline of strategy, to be completed by 6th of February 2012.
- Implementation of agreed strategy by December 2012.
- Establish mechanisms to ensure accountability for quality assurance of educational interventions and efficient use of resources,
- Coordination of feedback from users.
- Educators responsible for reporting outcomes from particular interventions.
- Ensure equity of access to strategy resources for all professional groups.
- Raise awareness and profile of simulation across professional groups.
- Involve and engage the most influential people overseeing trainees from professional groups including those not traditionally associated with simulation, e.g. primary care
- Ensure easy access to simulation equipment.
- Engage with trusts regarding adequate staff release from rotas to attend training courses.
- Develop courses in a ground-up manner.
- Utilise marketing, communication networks, south west educational meetings and identify points of contacts within institutional bodies in order to market to and raise awareness of simulation.
- Development high quality regional simulation research strategies.
- Develop regional South West collaboration research network to facilitate development of research within the region.
- Act as a central coordinator for delivering the research.
- Emphasis on building collaboration within research.
- Identify funding streams.
- How does the current network fit in with the current R&D?
- Promotion of the STELaR strategy Brand
- Protect the identity and brand of the strategy with the use of watermarks, intellectual property declarations etc.
- Establish networking opportunities through a website, email groups and meetings.
- Collaboration with education commissioning bodies to achieve common goals.
- Communicate with appropriate organisations and identify their priorities
- Identify simulation requirements within the curriculum
- Showcase courses and improvements in patients safety, for example
- Network with learning and development managers.
- Ensure what we do is evidence based.
- Communicate at trust level and educational commission level.
- Involve the heads of medical education in simulation strategy meetings.
- Streamline funding for simulation into one pot in order to allow a more efficient use.
- Development of simulation strategies for service support, transformation and innovation.
- Through collaboration with Acute trust Medical directors and DME’s these strategies will be encouraged. Close links with SHA to deliver on service requirements.
- Collaboration with healthcare delivery organisations to ensure enhancement of patient care.
- DME engagement
- Administrative and technical support resources put in place.
Consultant Paediatric Intensive Care
Associate Dean Simulation
Chair Bristol Medical Simulation Centre
Director Bristol Paediatric Simulation Programme