Quality Improvement (For ES/CS/SAS)
Category: Educational/Clinical Supervisors - Established Trainers Courses
Date: February 2nd 2023 9:15am until 12:15pm
Location: Via TEAMS
MaxCourse ID: SW504
Within the Acute, Community and Mental Health services in the Southwest quality improvement methods have been in use since 2009. As a region we have relatively well-developed infrastructures in most hospitals where trainees will spend their time. Most Trusts will have improvement teams that are multi-professional and are familiar with the Model for Improvement, Lean and Microsystems approaches to improving quality. Increasingly the language of QI and collaborative approaches are also evident in primary care settings.
All Royal Colleges have added Quality Improvement as a subject to their curricula to ensure a more consistent approach to improving care. This has been a component of training since the publication of Training for Better Outcomes by the Academy of Royal Colleges in 2016.
The half day session, QI for educational Supervisors, is designed to ensure all educational supervisors are more understanding of the context for QI, the fundamentals of how QI methods work and in particular how they differ from Audit. We will cover how best to support, encourage and supervise good quality improvement experiences for trainees. The opportunity is provided to review examples of good projects and to consider how trainees can become effective and successful in this component of their programme.
At the end of the session participants will:
- Have more evidence of how QI impacts positively on doctors, patients, the NHS and wider society
- Understand how QI differs from audit
- See how time ordered measurement enables rapid learning about what changes work best and supports sustained improvement over time.
- See how Human factors and safe design provide a structured means to agree what to improve and how to do so in a multidisciplinary setting
- Have a check list of what common barriers to change and thus improvement there are and explore strategies to overcome them individually or together
- Discuss examples of competition winning examples and build confidence in supporting and coaching trainees in the future.
An interactive online session with shared slide material, references, examples, discussion and questions and answers throughout.
Booking for these courses will be taken on MaxCourse, our online booking system.
Information about how to use MaxCourse can be found on our website.
Please email FacultyDevelopment.SW@hee.nhs.uk with any questions, before and on the day.